Thursday, August 8, 2013

Long Live the Campaign.

Walking around campus today, I noticed there was a rogue piece of paper in some of the... shrubbery? Shrubbery. No, it's smaller than that. Landscaping? I don't know. The fancy green stuff with bits of other colors for variety and beautification on campus. Flowers? No idea. Anyway. There was a piece of paper there that I noticed, but it wasn't litter. It was folded too neatly and placed too deliberately. I came up closer to see what nonsense this was. I stopped when I could just make out very loopy, bubbly, and neat girly handwriting. Some words like "love" and "dear" I think were scattered in there, too. I didn't dare read on, for fear I would see the phrase "circle yes or no" at the end of my mystery love letter. I have to believe that college students are past that.

Yesterday I got a package in the mail: from China. Well, maybe it was Hong Kong. No political statements about that here, I just can't remember. It was probably Hong Kong though. My mind went racing through the possibilities while I opened it, since I didn't remember ordering anything. First and foremost it was Edward Snowden passing on some secret documents to my safekeeping because his life was in peril. That was pretty exciting, but I have to admit I was not feeling up to the task. I was glad when I remembered I have that foreign contact (read: friend on an internship) in China this summer, and maybe he was sending me a pack of Chinese bubble gum. (It was a very small package.) Then when I finally got it open (seriously, that took herculean effort—my knife just barely did the trick), I was kind of let down to remember that I was getting some little commemorative trinkets from a project I funded on Kickstarter.

Biggest bummer of my life. But at least now I have something of a prerecorded mental protocol for barreling headlong into international espionage.

It is so hot in this room right now. I can't wait for winter: nature's air conditioning without an "off" switch.