Thursday, July 18, 2013

Not Quite a Thief in the Night.

About two weeks ago I was up early at 4 a.m. reading in the front room when one of my roommates, apparently turning in way late after a night of excessively leisurely studying, started rattling the door trying to get it open. Since it was locked, I waited a few seconds to see if he was going to just get out his key to get in.

When I didn't hear any other fiddling with the knob, I got up to let him in. But he wasn't there. Nobody up or down the hallway, either. Okay, that's odd, but not a big deal. Maybe somebody else came back home really late and... forgot which room was theirs? Well, I didn't really think about it.

So yesterday in the elevator, I'm talking to somebody else from the fifth floor, one of my neighbors. He's making small talk and asks if I heard about the robbery on the fifth floor? It was about two weeks ago. Some punk from the first floor decided to come up to our floor and go on a scavenger hunt to find other people's expensive things. My friend in the elevator's room got stolen from, for one, and the other one this guy got into was next door to me.

Two unrelated stories, right? Well that's what I thought at first, too. But after the most fleeting review of the available facts I've determined that it's a good thing my roommates and I lock our door every time we leave. I assume they caught the guy, since my elevator buddy said he was from the first floor, but I don't know.

Also, he apparently stole this guy's copies of both Settlers of Catan and Dominion, but left his roommate's electronics collection alone. Who does that?

Anyway. That ought to slake my readership's thirst for crime, intrigue, and suspense for another few days or so, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment