Saturday, July 20, 2013

Boating Is as Boating Does, I Always Say.

I have this theory I've been working on, that goes a little something like this: the more you blog, the more interesting things start happening to you. Or at least, enjoyable things. I am certain it has nothing to do with counting blessings that were already there that I didn't notice. 100% sure on that one. It would ruin my theory.

Last night I went to this activity for a stake not my own that was—I kid you not—the best stake activity I have ever been to. (Let's put that in perspective: I'm sure I've been to at least a couple, I think.) Why so magnificent, you ask? They had boats. The kind that float on water. And don't sink with you in them.

Here's how it happened: I showed up, bright-eyed, ignorant, and naive, to just look around and see what this "having fun" nonsense was all about. I hear tell of boats. It is an activity at the lake, after all. Makes perfect sense. After soaking in the resplendent karaokial magnificence, I run into a friend of a friend of a friend who, having passed my rigorous friendship-of-a-friendship written examination, I have since co-opted to be friend of my own. They've already been on the waterborne vessels of infinite joy a couple times, and I insist we go again. We do. It's fun. It's the best activity I have ever been to. Wasn't even for my own stake. Incredible. Boating in all its manifestations is the best thing there is. The end.

Okay, a little side note here about "karaokial." That should definitely be a word. I don't want to hear it, auto-correct. Like "parochial," which I almost certainly can define but just don't want to, okay? Or... any number of other doubtlessly fine examples. Fine, I coined it. That's the power of blogging, my friends. Ancient English Etymological Dictionary of the Year 7056: entry "karaokial." First recorded use on a particularly handsome gentleman's blog near the beginning of recorded history. Definition unknown; related to the lost practice of "karaoke," likely an order of martial arts focusing in hand-to-hand combat. Special notes: one of the best words ever.

Second footnote. My blog's written style guide indicates that third parties will be referred to using the gender-neutral pronoun "they." I just decided this because I was noticing I did it but didn't want to fix it. Call me rebellious if you must, but I prefer the term "visionary." Either way, a style guide is a style guide, as I always say. I can't just disregard it, now can I?

No comments:

Post a Comment