Thursday, July 25, 2013

A Little Less Celebration, a Little More Action.

I always thought (until how recently I decline to say) that the positions of attorney general and surgeon general were military distinctions, sort of a way to let all the different generals stand out. Turns out that is not the case.

So there was a little festival going on yesterday to celebrate Pioneer Day, which I attended with some folks I know. The problem was, we got there in the afternoon apparently right when it was all closing down. It wasn't all at once, though: pretty much every single activity or exhibit or whatever waited to shut down until we walked by it or, if we were trying to take part, we were next up in line. It was like a malevolent series of Pioneer Day anti-miracles, as they were out to get us instead of helping us celebrate. Pioneer Day 2013 ruined. The magic is gone for me; next year I'm going to need to learn a valuable Pioneer Day lesson to offset this year's mild inconvenience.

I've got a family reunion that's going to start tonight, and I'm really excited about that. Dear Little Sister will be there, so I'll have to pretend to be excited about that. (I kid, I kid! Or do I? You be the judge.) We always stay up late playing board games and do fun things with the niblings. (Fun fact of the day: "niblings" is a real word that encompasses nieces and nephews. You're welcome.) It'll be nice to see everybody.

Okay, okay, I'm not so jaded that I don't believe in Pioneer Day any more. Obviously I'm a huge fan of having work and school off all day. It should be a weeklong celebration, I say.

I'm going to have a fun contest. Whoever memorizes every word published on this blog will get a dollar. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment